GOVERNMENT & MUNICIPAL LAW
Experienced Michigan Municipal Law Attorneys
Smith Bovill has specialized in governmental and municipal law since the early 1960’s. It was one of the first mid-Michigan law firms to develop a full service municipal law practice, which it has continued to expand to meet the needs of its clients. At the present time, two members of the firm devote a majority of their practice to municipal related matters. We handle the needs of governmental and municipal clients throughout Mid-Michigan, The Thumb, and the Great Lakes Bay Area in a wide variety of areas. We represent clients throughout Saginaw, Frankenmuth, Bay City, Midland, Flint, Mount Pleasant, Cheboygan, West Branch, Gaylord, Grayling, and the counties of Arenac, Bay, Genesee, Huron, Isabella, Lapeer, Ogemaw, Roscommon, Saginaw, Sanilac, Shiawassee and Tuscola.
Smith Bovill regularly assists its clients on projects that involve both state and federal laws and regulations. The firm’s practice has continued to expand because of its approach to problem resolution. That approach includes: assessment of the municipal problem; development of a plan to resolve the problem, and, finally, implementation of a cost-effective plan of action. It is our policy to keep our client informed and involved in the process. Our firm’s expertise ranges the full spectrum of municipal law. The following is illustrative of our areas of practice:
- Civil Code Enforcement: The firm regularly advises clients on civil codes, including zoning and building code enforcement.
- Drafting Ordinances and Codes. The firm regularly drafts ordinances and codes ranging from nuisance regulations to complicated zoning ordinances. With regard to the latter, we usually work closely with the local county planning department and/or private planning specialist.
- Municipal Finance: The firm has extensive experience in installment purchase contracts for various public works projects. Smith Bovill also regularly represents clients who are interested in financing major municipal projects through the issuance of municipal bonds.
- Municipal Authorities: Smith Bovill has established numerous authorities, including joint intergovernmental authorities, in order to provide cost effective municipal services neighboring municipalities. The firm also has established and regularly represents downtown development, housing, solid waste management, water, sewer and other municipal authorities.
- General Litigation: Smith Bovill has civil litigation specialists capable of handling all aspects of municipal litigation, including tax appeals, civil rights claims, eminent domain and numerous other areas.
- Environmental: The firm is a recognized leader in environmental law and regulation. It counsels clients on the development of policies to minimize environmental concerns. Smith Bovill’s environmental practice is summarized separately in more detail.
Smith Bovill’s governmental and municipal law practice focuses on providing clients with timely and cost-effective representation and counseling in this rapid changing area. To learn more about the municipal lawyers at Smith Bovill please contact us today. To learn more about a variety of legal topics please visit our Newsletter pages.
For immediate assistance call us in Saginaw at (989) 792-9641 or in Frankenmuth at (989) 652-9923.